Three days after I last wrote, on May 16th, our little Ladybug decided to join our family. Honestly, she was already part of our family and had been for the 37.5 weeks she’d been cooking. But on May 16th at 2:24 am she decided to breathe air for the first time and make her entrance into our world. And boy, was her entrance anything but boring. She came flying out after 2 pushes at a lovely 8lbs even. I couldn’t have asked for a better delivery. To save all you “non-birth story junkies” your lunch…I went from 4 cm to 8 cm in about 45 minutes and had the nurses and midwife running to catch little JoJo 🙂
I wish I could say the events following labor and delivery were as easy or as “normal” as the first few hours…but they weren’t. Through it all, I CAN say that God was with me and He went before me clearing obstacles out of my way. On several occasions things could’ve turned nasty, but.for.God. And for that, He deserves ALL the praise!
Our biggest hurdle, and the reason why this announcement is so late, is that we discovered that nursing alone was not giving our little Ladybug all the calories she needed to gain weight. After about 4-5 days at home, we felt we needed to take her in to be seen by the pediatrician. We are so thankful for the Holy Spirit’s wisdom. We could NOT have waited until her 2 week check up. After starting her on formula she has gained weight, she sleeps much better, and she isn’t near as fussy. God is good! THANK YOU to those of you who have been following this saga on facebook and have prayed for us and written encouraging notes. They’ve all been read and cherished!
So now we have an almost 3 week old who is waking us up at all hours of the night to eat, burp, and poop 🙂 Our bodies say we’re too old for this but our hearts melt every time we look at her. Daniel has been such a big help through all of this! He loves changing her diaper and giving her a bath. Since this is our first bottle-fed baby, he’s also taking turns feeding her too. But his favorite thing to do is to fall asleep with Joanna on his chest. 🙂
How can you be praying for us?
- Pray that I will rest. We’re still homeschooling and summer activities are creeping up on us. I want to make sure our boys aren’t overlooked and that they get to have fun this summer, but that shouldn’t be at the expense of my sanity and health.
- Pray for us and we start to schedule speaking engagements for the Fall. We look forward to visiting with as many of you as we can! Let us know if you’d like to have us come share!
- We have a few projects we need to raise funds for as well as taxes to pay. Pray for God to provide financially for these needs. If you’d like to know more about our well project and car project, just let us know!
- Pray for us as we adjust to being a family of 6. The boys aren’t used to being “quiet” with a baby in the house and it can cause STRESS 😉 Pray for everyone to have more patience and love for each other.
- Pray for Joanna to continue to gain weight and grow up big and strong. She’ll be getting some shots before we return to Africa after Christmas, but she won’t have all of them. Pray even now that she will give her little heart to Jesus one day and live for Him. Pray for us as we seek to raise her in His footsteps.
Drop us a line when you get a chance! We’d love to hear from you and find out how we can be praying for you too!
In His Sovereign Grip,